BUTTERICK 5559 (MISSES’ DRESS) REVIEW
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yep, very easy. I did a few things differently:
* Pressed the darts down (otherwise my tucks did not press down nicely).
* Machine-basted the tuck lines to mark them – it’s easy to fold & press along a basted line.
* Sewed the neckline facing in, and then sewed sleeves in flat before sewing side-seams.
* Hand-basted along all side tucks before sewing side seams, so that they matched well.
* I had to top-stitch the edge of the neck to get the facing to lay flat.
* I marked the back facing, to tell back from front (otherwise you have to go on a dart hunt to tell).
I really hate all the markings, and that I originally marked the front side. I thought I’d fold along my chalk-lines originally. Then I had to transfer markings to the back for the darts to sew them (hand basted along chalk lines). If I had realized that machine basting the tuck lines was the best way to go, I could have marked all my chalk-lines on the back only.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I really like the darts hidden beneath the tucks. They’re TOP SECRET!!